Here is the dry fit for the doors, everything else is already glued.
Painting.... I had to paint the inside of the shelf with doors before attaching the doors. I decided to give both of them lighter colours. The first one is blue and isn't distressed. I first painted the second one blue and then went over that blue with white. After everything was dry I distressed it and so now it's this adorable shabby chic style.
This is the photo that inspired the whole thing. I found it somewhere online but can't remember where to put a link back. This is a real life item, not a miniature. Here you can see how much better thinner wood would be.
And the (almost) finished product :) I still need to add handles to the doors. I used a cross stitch base to finish the doors. I know that in the original there are probably leaded glass doors but I think this looks ok too. It adds a certain charm to the piece :)
Of course the doors open. Inside are two shelves on each side, all with rails, so little treasures don't fall off.
A close up of the blue shelf. This would be perfect in a little nursery!
And here you can see the difference wood thickness makes. The shelf on the left is a new one, made from 2mm thick wood. I think it looks better than the one from 3mm thick wood. Although the blue one doesn't look at all bad, I think it would be more fitting for an upper cabinet (if it weren't only 1,5cm deep).
Ok, 3 of these in 2 days.... not bad. Perhaps in another few days I might make one that will be similar to the one I found online.
Until next time!