July 4, 2012

Stairs anyone?

Today I've been busy installing the stairs and finally making the second floor. I can't wait to have everything in place, it'll give the house a lot more perspective. Although I'm starting to think that it's going to be too small..... I tried fitting the bed on the upper floor and it takes up quite a chunk of it :/

Anyway, I've finally finished the stairs, even though they're not much I'm relieved to be done with them. I can sincerely say that was not a part of building my house that I enjoyed a lot.
I've decided to paint them black, although in retrospect they would have worked in brown a bit better.

Part of the wall already painted, wanted to do the whole thing but ran out of paint, haha.

And I finished the flooring for the upper floor. I love how it turned out! Now I need to paint the fence and I'm ready to fix it in1

Well, at least the house is coming together rather nicely. Now I'll have to start deciding where everything will go. And from now on I'll have to make things fit into what I have, so probably a bit more restrictions. We'll see. But for today I got quite a few things done. At least for mini making it's good not to have a job at the moment.

Until next time!


July 2, 2012

A bed fit for a witch!

Hello everyone! I know, I know, I haven't posted in a while. Real life can get in the way a lot... And with a heat wave it's hard to get anything done.

I did manage to finish a bed for my house. Hooray! :)
Well, at least the frame, I still need to make the mattress, pillows, covers.... But I think that a large part is behind me and I'm extremely pleased with the results.

After numerous failed attempts I finally managed to make the padding for the boards. I would like to thank fellow mini makers from SmallStuff Digest and my yahoo group Dream Dwellings, for giving me advice so kindly and responding in such numbers.

And now..... A bed fit for a witch!

Trying out the padding for the lower board.

Both frames cut, sanded and ready for padding.

Finally, after many failed attempts.

It's finished!! Still without a mattress though. It measures 17,5cm x 10cm. I was aiming for a queen size bed, but it would have to be a bit wider. But it's fantasy anyway and there are not exact measurements in fantasy, hahaha.

The boards are a bit low, but I had to glue them on so the side boards would stay in place. I used gold sating for the upholstery and have plenty left for the covers and such.

Well, this is what I came up with. I know it's not perfect, and that there should be buttons in the tufting, but I like it anyway and I think that for a first try it worked out extremely well. I did plan on making the frame gold and the upholstery red velvet, but I couldn't find any so I had to rework the colors. But all in all, I'm pleased with the result. 
I would love to hear what you think, though.

And some random bottles I also made today.... it was something to distract myself while I was waiting for the glue/paint/varnish to dry :) Have to be productive ;)

Well, until next time!