April 15, 2012

Of hats and dragons

Today I decided to make witch hats. I found a great tutorial that helped me a lot: GardenofImagination's wonderful HAT TUTORIAL. Thank you very much for a great explanation!

These are the hats I came up with

This is the first hat I made. As you can see I got quite a bit of glue on it in places I shouldn't have :P But as a first attempt I think it turned out pretty good. I love how the decorations turned out. 

Second attempt, the fabric was a lot better to work with but I didn't have anything other to decorate it with, since everything I had was black. Will have to get some material in the next few days.

An unfinished hat, still needs decorations. Again, I need to restock :)

These hats will probably be in the upper floor of my Witch's abode (will have to name it someday soon, hehe). As you can see this will be a fantasy witch who has a habit of wearing a different hat every day.
I do plan on making more of these as they were really fun to make!

Next thing is Is. The little dragon I created out of Fimo. I know she's not perfect but I think she's extremely cute and perfect for sleeping on a shelf.

Presenting Is :) And her horns glow in the dark.

Sleeping on a shelf... it's fun making her pose. I tried adding a chain so she wouldn't run away but I just didn't have the heart... And she promised she'll stay home :P

And another project from this weekend.... a shelf unit. They are made from real wood, not plywood and are only 3mm thick. I think this thickness works a lot better than plywood and it's a big difference in general. 


And the shelf finished. It's painted and sanded down to look aged. I did a slightly darker shade this time and I like it way better.
I had my dad cut enough pieces for 3 of these. They will come in handy on both floors. 

And a couple more scrolls for the end. Made from "aged" paper (coffee stained), these will be all over the house so I still need to make a lot more. These are meant to be "everyday notes", the ones from a previous post that are more fancy will be for more important documents.

Well, this is it for today. I had quite a productive weekend, considering I had a ton of other things to do.
And a clue for next post.... I tried making a candelabra..... will see how it'll turn out.

Have a great week everyone!

*Poof*




4 comments:

  1. I like the light colored hat. Very fashionable witch! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog through smallstuff-request and although witchy things are not normally to my liking I love your hats, especially the black ones. Also I think your dragon is adorable.
    It's very hard to believe you are new to miniatures!

    Cindy in San Diego

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words!
      I truly am new to miniatures, although I've been creating things since I can remember and my parents supported my artistic side :) I've never done miniatures though but I'm really glad I tried.

      Delete
  3. Your hats are delightful!
    You wanted gears? Are you doing steampunk minis? Try getting old watches from junk shops. You can search watch parts on eBay too.Cogs may be a useful word in searches.
    Good luck
    Sally
    www.artisansinminiature.com
    www.gsolfot.com
    www.sallycatminiatures.com

    ReplyDelete