April 13, 2012

Beginnings are easy..... Scrolls and books

Welcome to Illyria's Miniatures. I started this blog because I recently got the courage to start making dollhouse miniatures in 1:12 scale and I wanted to share them with other fantasy miniature enthusiasts.
I've stumbled across dollhouse miniatures a few years ago and have loved them ever since. Sadly I never had the will to make anything myself, until now.

For my first project I want to make a fantasy witch's house, filled with all kinds of amazing things. This will probably be a little hard, because there is no place to buy dollhouse miniatures where I live. So I decided to make my own. I realize this will be a long project, especially since I can't work on miniatures full time, but I'm not really concerned with that. I don't want to fill the house in one weekend with bought items, I want to enjoy making every miniature as well as furnishing the house.

My first attempt at miniatures were books and scrolls. I think they turned out pretty well.

Books can open but the pages are blank inside. I like to think of them as old grimoires (they aren't completely finished though, I still need to make some "metal" parts on the covers). Books are covered in leather and I painted 2 books gold on the sides.

Miniature scrolls and a quill, different sizes. All scrolls can open.

Book pages waiting to be assembled.

Unfinished books...

Books and scrolls in 1:12 scale.


Well, that's it for now. Yesterday I also started working on a cupboard and have glued it together. But more of that is the next post, when I have it painted and hopefully finished.

Thanks for reading!
*Poof*




4 comments:

  1. These look great! I love the *poof* sign-off, too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I started with something easy to make.
      Oh yeah, the *poof* is my little quirk and I thought it matches my fantasy theme :)

      Delete
  2. Those scrolls are adorable! I'm so jealous. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the books and scrolls! I'm in progress of decorating a spooky witch dolls house too :)

    ReplyDelete