I wanted to do a book like this for some time. I really like how this cover looks, as it's not your average, everyday book.
First I painted the sides of the book gold. Then I stained the gauze and glued it on the spine. I cut the covers from thick paperboard and painted it antique gold. After everything was dry I glued the gauze on the covers and added a few gears.
The back of the book. I think it's an interesting design and different from so many other books out there. I'm planning a few more books like this, maybe some with leather. I'll have to go hunting for more fabric soon :)
I also continured working on the coffer. I decided to do the smaller one first. I cut and glued all the remaining veneer. Here is the second coat of stain (still has to dry, I was impatient and it was getting late). I'll add another one or perhaps two and a coat of clear varnish. I still have to make the top and stain the top and bottom. And then I'll have to think about hinges.... I'm really hoping I can make my own as I'd have to order them from eBay, which would be expensive and a long wait.
It's coming along nicely :)
Well, this is it for today.
I do have two other surprises for all of you. Let's just say it'll be worth keeping an eye on my blog ;)
Until next time!