This is the desk so far. The top part is still not finished, but I hope to have everything done tomorrow.
Now for the process. First I started working on the legs. I made the design myself from looking at a lot of pictures of actal Davenport desks. So these legs are my own design. If anyone wants to use the design that's ok, but only for personal projects and a link back would be appreciated.
These are actually flat legs, not like cabriole legs. The leg process... template, transfer on wood, cut leg.
And this is the result, after sanding both. I decided to give them a bit of curved edges, since the sharp ones didn't look good to me.
Next up was working on the decoration for the front of the table. I decided to add some 1mm veneer. I think it totally transforms the whole thing, especially once painted. And there's also the lowert part of the table, where the legs go. Now I need to find something for the four little legs on the bottom of everything.
Of course I couldn't resisit a dry fit and so far it looks great!
I changed the top a bit but didn't take any photos of the new one.
And now for the most feared part of this project.... drawers!!! I managed to make these 4, since I have to cut them one by one. They turned out pretty ok for a first try, although they don't fit as snugly as I would like.
I'm hoping that the little mistakes won't be as noticable after some paint. If not I'll have to make fronts for all of them. I'll se how they look once I have them all assembled and painted.
The drawers don't look half bad when they're open....
Well, this is it for today, I'm hoping to have the whole thing finished tomorrow, but we'll see.
Until next time